It’s back! The 48 Hour Film Project Orlando makes its way back to Orlando in time to close a very humid summer. This will be the 6th year for ‘The 48,” and if it’s anything like those in years past, it will also be a HOT one! Details from Producer, Rob Ward;
“From August 23-25, 2013, hundreds of Central Floridians will spend a wild, sleepless weekend creating short films at breakneck speed as part of a global competition that is equal parts The Amazing Race, American Idol, and Tough Mudder. Fueled by imagination, ingenuity, and energy drinks, filmmakers will compete for the chance to win a $5,000 grand prize and the opportunity to screen their mini-masterpiece at the Cannes International Film Festival’s Short Film Corner in 2014.
Here’s how it works: At the Orlando Kick-Off Event on Friday, August 23, each team registered will receive a movie genre, character, prop, and line of dialogue that must be incorporated into their film. The teams then have 48 hours to write, direct and shoot their film, which must be submitted on Sunday, August 25th at the Drop-Off Event to qualify. Films submitted even one minute late are disqualified.”
The only ‘pre-production’ (loosely used) a team is allowed to do in this competition is to line up talent, crew, gear and locations. The rest of the elements, as Rob mentioned above, are assigned at the Kick Off Event on Friday, August 23rd. Think you have the chops to make a movie in 48 Hours? The first of TEN Meet and Greet events starts TOMORROW!
As of this writing, 7 teams have already joined this year’s 48. Sign up soon… spots fill quickly!
Meet and Greet Dates (Dates hyperlinked to Facebook Event Page, venues linked to company website)
- Tuesday, July 16, 4-7pm at Eternal Tap (Downtown Orlando)
- Friday, July 19, 4-7pm at Twin Peaks (International Drive)
- Tuesday, July 23, 4-7pm at Eternal Tap
- Friday, July 26, 4-7pm at University Orlando Ale House (Near Full Sail)
- Tuesday, July 30, 4-7pm at Eternal Tap
- Friday, August 2, 4-7pm at Cue-Phoria Billiards and Cafe (Semoran & Aloma)
- Tuesday, August 6, 4-7pm at Eternal Tap
- Friday, August 9, 4-7pm at Cue-Phoria Billiards and Cafe
- Tuesday, August 13, 4-7pm at Eternal Tap <—Alfred Hitchcock’s birthday!
- Friday, August 16, 4-7pm at Cue-Phoria Billiards and Cafe
Full Disclosure: Members of our ICS staff will be joining a team this year but we are in no way associated with the planning, judging or logistics of this event. We are simply letting you, our filmmakers, know that it’s happening. (I personally have participated in all six 48 Hour Fests here in Orlando!)