Your first gig on the set of a professional film or television production will most likely be as a Production Assistant (or ‘PA’, in case you didn’t know). You could be driving the producers around, fetching coffee, wrapping cable, lugging around c-stands or making sure photo releases are properly signed and filed. Either way, this gateway job could land you gigs down the line or, if you’re lucky, an ongoing gig traveling with a production company. If you’re looking to find out what this ‘PA’ business is all about – and do some equally important networking too – our Metro Orlando Film Commission may be able to assist. Find this event and more on Metro Orlando Film’s Event Page.
Quixote P.A. Bootcamp
Urban ReThink (Downtown Orlando)
625 E. Central Blvd., Orlando 32801
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11. LIMITED SEATING – ONLY THE FIRST 30 REGISTRANTS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
PRICE & SIGN-UP:
2-DAY WEEKEND SESSION – February 16 & 17
HOURS: Saturday: 9am – 5pm Sunday: 9am – 5pm
COST: $150.00* (6.5% tax included)
LOCATION: Urban ReThink
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
*Note: This event is brought to you by the Metro Orlando Film Commission at a discount from the normal $250 rate.
It is our GOAL to thoroughly prepare you, so when you get your first job on a film, television, or commercial set, you will be completely familiar with, and ready for, everything expected of you. We make YOU an ASSET to the production.
INCLUDED IN OUR PROGRAM:
- Making the film, from prep to post
- All production paperwork
- Production terminology
- Hands on radio training
- Set protocol, i.e. “do’s and don’ts”
- How the A.D. team functions
- Other crew departments function and interaction
- Gear and supplies
- The Office P.A.
- Preparing your resume
- Where to find a job
Quixote’s P.A. Bootcamp is designed as a real-world, practical job training program. If you are going to your first day of work as a P.A wouldn’t it be better to know what is going on all around you? Our goal is to prepare you thoroughly and completely for the job of Production Assistant, which is your first step into the entertainment business as it has been for many highly successful producers, executives, directors and others currently working in the industry. We provide take-home paperwork which covers everything taught in the course, as well as many actual production documents from recent films and TV shows. In addition to the regular curriculum, we frequently have guest speakers from all aspects of production.
Working as a P.A. on a feature film is different from working on a commercial or music video. Quixote’s P.A. Bootcamp trains for ALL types of production:
- Features – high and low budget
- Episodic TV
- Reality shows
- Music videos
IN OUR 2-DAY SESSION YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to be a highly effective Set and Office Production Assistant
- How to anticipate the needs of your production
- Hands on training with radios (walkie talkies)
- Hands on training with equipment used for commercials
- Where to find production jobs and understanding the industry career path
- How to read & understand production paperwork
- Lock-Ups, Call Outs, Daily & Nightly duties
- How to communicate in production language
- Set and Office Etiquette
- Office P.A. responsibilities- Distribution, Sides, Script Revisions
- Overview of the crew departments, their responsibilities and how it relates to you as a P.A.
- Film and TV versus commercials/videos/low budget P.A.
- Gear and supplies necessary for the job
After training with Quixote’s PA Bootcamp, graduates have the option to stay in touch via facebook and twitter. By doing this, they will grow their network of industry contacts from the ground up which will help them gain employment. Additionally the Metro Orlando Film Commission will be hosting an exclusive Meet & Greet event the following Wednesday evening with the graduates and potential employers. Details to follow.